Full Name: Michael E. Chrisofos
Business Address: University General Hospital “Attikon”, 1st Rimini str., 124 64 Haidari, Greece
Mobile: +30 6944 440341
Work: +30 210 5832142
E-mail: [email protected]
Michael Chrisofos MD,PhD,FEBU, FES Professor of Urology, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens 3rd Department of Urology Director, “ATTIKON” University Hospital
Education – Graduate Studies – Certifications
- Specialization: August 1991 – August 1992, Resident in General Surgery, General Hospital «Sotiria», January 1993 – February 1997, Resident in Urology, Urology Department, Laiko Hospital, Athens Medical School.
- Specialization Title: 1997, Urologist
- Medical license as Urologist : 1997, Prefectural of Athens
- D. PROJECT: 1996, “Determination of Interferon-a receptors in Normal and Malignant Bladder Urothelium”: Excellent
- Fellow in Endourology in «SCOTTISH LITHOTRIPTOR CENTRE», WESTERN GENERAL HOSPITAL, EDINBURGH, under prof. D. Tolley, with particular emphasis on extra-corporeal lithotripsy, endoscoptic surgery and laparoscopic surgery of the urinary tract. In September of 1999 within the 17th International congress of Endourology, I received the Fellowship in Endourology.
- “Intensive course in Laparoscopic Techniques – Urology” at STRASBOURG, with theoretical and practical application on the laparoscopic surgery of the urinary tract. After practical and theoretical examination, I acquired the diploma of Société Française de Chirurgie Digestive in laparoscopic surgery.
- English (fluently)
- Romanian (fluently)
- Participation in the post-graduate program “Minimally invasive surgery, robotic surgery and Telesurgery” during the academic years 2007-2015.
- Participation in the post-graduate program of Urology, Dimocritus University of Thrace, in Endourology during the academic year 2008-2009.
- Participation in the 4th seminar of the 2nd Cycle Studies of the Greek Academy of Oncology during the academic year 2010-2011.
- Participation in the 4th seminar of the 3rd Cycle Studies of the Greek Academy of Oncology during the academic year 2012-2013.
- Participation in the 9th Seminar of Infectious Diseases 2012
- Participation in the post-graduate program of gynecology “Pathology of pregnancy” during the academic year 2014-2017.
Participation in Doctoral Dissertations
Continuing Education (Conferences, Seminars):
- Participation in international conferences (more than 85)
- Participation in Greek Conferences (more than 100)
CLINICAL/LAB – ACADEMIC WORK
- I had the opportunity to deal with diagnostic and therapeutically urological problems of large number of patients hospitalized in Urology Laiko Hospital, where I originally served as a registrar and then as a scientific collaborator, and from 2003 I served as a lecturer in the Urology Department of Sismanogleio Hospital. By addressing these patients, and also the experience which I gained from my regular stay in specialized centers in Europe, enabled me to gain clinical and surgical comfort, and get familiar with extracorporeal lithotripsy and endoscopic surgeries.
- Since my establishment as a Lecturer in Sismanoglio hospital until January 2011, I was responsible for the operation of the Urodynamic laboratory of Sismanoglio Hospital.
- Since June 1997, I have permission K.E.S.Y. (HEALTH DEPARTMENT CENTRAL COUNCIL), for execution of Urological Ultrasound, including transrectal ultrasound of the prostate.
- During my specialty at the 1st Urology Department, and then as a faculty involved and participate actively and independently on the training of medical students, in theoretical or tutorial lessons.
- Also I participate in the education and training of trainees, both in clinical, diagnostic and surgical part, and in doctoral dissertations. As part of my participation in further training in urology, I have participated in several roundtables organized by the Hellenic Association of Urology and the Urological University departments.
- I work with the Head of Laboratory Animals House of the University General Hospital “Attikon”, Prof. E I Giamarellos-Bourboulis for research programs.
- I have participated as a trustee, in examinations of European Board of Urology during the academic years 2007 and 2009.
- Since January 2011, after the recommendation of the Chairman of the Urology Athens Medical School, Prof. Ch. Deliveliotis, I am in charge of the urology department at ATTIKO Hospital. As a head of Urology Department, it operates outpatient clinics, such as Andrology, urinary stones, prostate disorders clinic where performed Transrectal Ultrasound guided biopsies and prostate surgery incontinence and also operates complete urodynamic testing. It also works endoscopic operations, where performed cystoscopies, urethroscopies as well as small endoscopic and open surgery (bladder biopsies, circumcision, etc.) which are kept in the day care unit. Even handled the urological cases hospitalized in different wards of the hospital and performed scheduled and emergency urological operations in these patients.
HOSPITAL & UNIVERSITY POSITIONS
- “Sotiria” Hospital, General Surgery Department. August 1991 – August 1992, Resident General Surgery.
- Laiko Hospital Athens, 1st Urological Department, January 1993 – February 1997, Resident in Urology.
- Laiko Hospital Athens, 1st Urological Department, Fellow 02/1997 -06/1997.
- Hospital Eleusis “Thriasio”, Consultant Urology, 05/1998-10/1998.
- «SCOTTISH LITHOTRIPTOR CENTRE», WESTERN GENERAL HOSPITAL, EDINBURGH, Fellowship Endourology, 07/1997 – 04/1998 &10/1998 – 04/1999.
- Laiko Hospital Athens, 1st Urological Department, 05/2000 -01/2003 Scientific Collaborator
- Sismanoglio Hospital, 2nd Urological Department, Lecturer of Urology University of Athens, 01/2003 – 10/2007 and Ass. Professor of Urology University of Athens, 10/2007 – 01/2011.
- Attikon Hospital, 2nd Urological Department, from 01/2011 to present.
- Clinical efficacy of finasteride (Proscar) in benign prostatic hyperplasia. European multicenter clinical study, 1996-1997. This is a multicenter double-blind randomized study on the efficacy of finasteride in benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Evaluation of intravesically administered interferon-alpha in expression of tumor suppressor factors in transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder. Funding of this study by the University of Athens, AP 10179/9-7-99.
- Effect of intravesically administered cytokine in expression of various mitogenic and angiogenic growth factors in the development of superficial tumors of TCC of the bladder. Funding to conduct the study from the University of Athens, 2000.
- Research program “Kapodistrias”. 2005-2006, 2006-2007 and 2008-2009 Comparative virulence of susceptible and multidrug-resistant strains of Escherichia Coli in vitro and in vivo study. Program “Kapodistrias” 70/4/8161. The purpose of this research proposal is to investigate the presence of differences between sensitive and multi-resistant strains of E.coli is the most common pathogen in community. To date, studies of the in vitro effect of 20 strains of Escherichia coli, 10 sensitive and 10 resistant for human monocytes. The results can be summarized in the following: the sensitive strains induce excretion greater concentration TNFa and IL-8 compared to the multi-resistant. It is a basic research study demonstrated the immunotherapeutic role of intravenous administration of clarithromycin in experimental sepsis model. In this model documented in detail the immuno-intrusive activity of clarithromycin in the cellular level in peripheral blood monocytes. A research model was used as standard acute pyelonephritis model applied the first time in literature. The successful results of these studies have demonstrated the beneficial effect of clarithromycin : a) reduced mortality from septic shock and multi-organ failure, b) a more rapid solution of pneumonia associated with mechanical ventilation, and c) to slow the progression of septic multi-organ failure patient.
- Involved as a research on the study “A wide, prospective observational study lasting six months, to assess the direct costs of treating patients with urinary incontinence” sponsored by the company FARMASERVE-Lilly SA, 2006.
- Participation in the research group of Greek Sepsis Study Group, as scientific responsible conduct of this research protocol to Second Urology Department, University of Athens. The purpose of this group is to record clinical data Greeks septic patients and the collection of biological samples from patients. These data are collected in the form of research protocol entitled: “Study of changes in the immune response of the patient during the transition from sepsis to severe sepsis and septic shock.” At regular intervals the group meets under the coordination of Prof. E. Ι. Giamarellou – Bourboulis to update on the progress of research protocols. May 2006 to present.
- Participationin the research team of epidemiological studies COLOUR /Direg _L_03294 regarding the cooperation urologists – oncologists in patients with prostate cancer, sponsored by the company Sanofi-Aventis 2008-2009.
- 1st Prize theses of European Association of Urology «1997 EAU (European Association of Urology) THESIS AWARD», for the doctoral thesis «Determination of Interferon-alpha receptor in bladder cancer and normal urothelium”. (May 1997).
- Other awards in different congressses
- In June 1998, during my tenure at Thriasio Hospital, I received upon examination, the Urological Association Scholarship for Consultants.
- Since 1989, I enrolled in the Medical Association of Athens
- Since 1993, I am Member of the Hellenic Urological Association
- Since 2000, I am a member of the Athens Medical Society
- Member of the Urodynamics Neuro-urology and Gynecology Urology of HUA
- Member of the Urogenital Oncology of HUA
- Since 2013, I am Member of the Hellenic Genito-Urinary Cancer Group
- In 1997, I become after exams a Fellow to European Board of Urology
- Since 1997, I became a member of the British Medical Association (British General Medical Council)
- Since 1995, I am an Associate Member of the European Association of Urology and since 1997 a regular member
- Since 1998, I am a member of the British Society for Endo urology
- Since October 2000, I am member of Société Internationale D ‘Urologie
- Since June 2001, I am a member of the American Urology Society (International Member)
- Since 2006, I’m a member of the International Continence Society
- Since 2012, I’m a member of Endo-urological Society
Author of books / monographs:
- Emergency medical treatment at Cottage Hospital, Athens 1995. Join the chapters of Urology pp 145-165. It is a special edition at the 1st Scientific Conference of Greek Medical Students to help the new doctor to address the urgent problems in a community clinic.
- “Gene therapy for prostate cancer.” Monograph. Konstantinidis K., Chrisofos M., Athens 1998.
Participate in writing of books:
- “Prostate Cancer” by Arvanitakis Th. and Theodorou Ch. Parisianou Publications, 2004, by writing the chapter “The endocrine therapy of prostate cancer”, Chrisofos M, pages 327-382.
- “The geriatric urology” by Constantine Bovi, Athens 2009, by writing the chapter “The Place of Chemotherapy in Elderly Cancer Patients’ Chrisofos M, pages 238-244.
- Participation in the writing of the book of Urology by Prof. Ch. Deliveliotis for the education of 5th year resident students.
- “Cancer genitourinary system: From basic research to targeted therapies” of the Greek Academy of Oncology, Athens 2008, writing the chapter “Responding hormone sensitive metastatic disease”, Chrisofos M, pages 56-69.
- “Endometriosis Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatments”, of Lucy A. Mitchell, New York 2010, by writing the chapter “Endometriosis of the urinary tract”, S. Kachrillas, A. Papatsoris, S. Kontos, J. Masood, N. Buchholz and M. Chrisofos, pages 255-259.
- “Intraepithelial Neoplasia”, ISBN 978-953-307-764-2, by writing the chapter: Precursor Lesions of Prostate Cancer 2011, Athanasios Papatsoris, Vasilis Migdalis, Charis Kostopoulos and Michael Chrisofos
- “Sphincters Properties, Types and Applications”, by writing the chapter: Laparoscopic artificial urinary sphincter (AUS) implantation for the treatment of female genuine stress urinary incontinence (SUI), 2012. RPapatsoris AG, Mourmouris P, Migdalis V, Chrisafis M,Chrisofos M, pages 153-159.
Participate in shaping of the Web site of the Greek Association of Urology and the Web site of the Second University Urology Clinic.
- ” Greek Urology”.
- “BMC Cancer”.
- “Journal of Medical Case Reports”.
- “UroToday International Journal®”.
- Referee under the 20th Panhellenic Conference of Urology, 2010.
ORGANIZING – PROJECT MANAGEMENT
A. Participation in organizing committee congresses
- 17ες Athenian Days of Urology, 17-18/ 5/1997.
- 20ες Athenian Days of Urology, 12-14/5/2000.
- 21ες Athenian Days of Urology, 30/3 -1/4/2001.
- 22ες Athenian Days of Urology, 29 – 31/3/2002.
- 23ες Athenian Days of Urology, 2003
- Treasurer of the 24th Athenian Urology Days, 2004
- 25ες Athenian Days of Urology, 2005
- 26ες Athenian Days of Urology, 2006
- 27ες Athenian Days of Urology, 2007
- Secretary of the 28th Athenian Urology Days, 2008
- Secretary of the 29th Athenian Urology Days, 2009
- Secretary of the 30th Athenian Urology Days, 2010
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 20th Panhellenic Congress of Urology, 2010.
- Secretary of the 31th Athenian Urology Days, 2011
- Secretary of the 32nd Athenian Urology Days, 2012
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 18th Congress of the Greek Medical Students, 2012
- Secretary of the 21st Panhellenic Congress of Urology, 2012
- Secretary of the 33nd Athenian Urology Days, 2013
- Secretary of the 33nd Athenian Urology Days, 2014
- Secretary of the 33nd Athenian Urology Days, 2015
- Secretary of the 33nd Athenian Urology Days, 2016
- Secretary of the 34th Athenian Urology Days, 2017
- 2nd International Congress of the History of Urology, 18- 20/5/2001.
- 8th Mediterranean Congress of Urology, Member in Local Scientific committee, 11-14/09/2003, Crete
- 16th Video-Urology World Congress, General Secretary, Athens 23-25 June 2005.
- “The Athenian EuroAmerican Congress of Urology” General Secretary, Athens 15-18/6/2006.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 2nd International Meeting on Innovations & EBM in Urology, Athens 29/9-1/10/2011.
- And others …
B. Coordinator of the Study Group of testicular neoplasms, of HUA from 11/2004 – 06/2007.
C. General Secretary of the Greek Urological Association elected at the 20th National Congress of Urology in Cyprus for the period 1/1/2011 – 31/12/2012.
D. Responsible encoder matching KEN – ICD10 for the male reproductive system MDC12 from 7/2011.
E. Member team of therapeutic protocols for prescriptions for genitourinary system from 2012
F. General Secretary and founding member of the Greek Urogenital Cancer Research Group from 2013.
PARTICIPATION IN SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
Lectures and presentations after an invitation:
- Greek: >40
- International: 10
- Presidency >30